Tuesday, 28 December 2010

Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins


Author: Suzanne Collins
Date of release: September 2009
Number of pages: 480
Publisher: Scholastic
Also by this author: The Hunger Games, Mockingjay

Book Girl Rating: * * * * *

After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying... The terrifying sequel to The Hunger Games.(Amazon.co.uk).

After reading The Hunger Games, I became entirely transfixed by this series.  Catching Fire hasn’t extinguished any of the adoration I felt for the Hunger Games, and if anything, I enjoyed it more - because this book is as astounding and intriguing as I hoped it would be.

After winning the Hunger Games with fellow contestant Peeta, Katniss is back living in District 12.  But her success isn’t without consequence; and the Capitol is angry...

Once again I was swept up in the world of Katniss and her friends and the troubles of Panem.  My hatred for the Capitol and everything it represents grew deeper in this book, as I learned more about the terrifying world these characters live in. Even though Panem is such a grave and desolate place, filled with stark inequalities – I felt like I was right there in the action with Katniss.  

Catching Fire is simply a thrilling read – and holds its audience well.  Filled with unexpected surprises and boasting a wonderfully inventive plot, I was enthralled by the twists in the story to the very end.  Never before have I hoped the characters I read about to succeed in the way I did in this book.  The love triangle-esque dynamic  we suspected in the Hunger Games is interesting as a twist too, with Katniss conflicted about her feelings for the two boys she cares for deeply.  

The Hunger Games challenges its readers in ways I haven’t encountered in other YA books.  Collins constantly surprises her audience and the dystopian narrative serves as an eerie warning to current societal ways. Once again, this was a scintillating read.  The plot is equally as thrilling and riveting as The Hunger Games and the audience is dragged further into this surreal but effectively terrifying world of control, coercion and inequality.  

The Capitol’s sinister nature is once again displayed; at the forefront of which is the  dictatorial President Snow – residing over the Capitol like some sort of sinister caricature. 

This is YA literature at its very best; smart, savvy and imaginative.  This book scared me and thrilled me in equal measure; Collins is at the forefront of the genre and these books are sure to delight many readers to come -interesting and fantastically well-written.  Amazing!

Reviewed as part of Nat's Little Reading Challenge

1 comment:

  1. The twists and turns in this book blew me away the first time I read it. It's truly amazing and I'm so glad you loved it as much as the firts one.

    ReplyDelete