Monday, 6 September 2010

Review: The Immortals Series: Blue Moon (Book 2)

Author: Alyson Noel
Date of release: March 2010
Number of pages: 384
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Also by this author: The Immortals Series (Evermore, Blue Moon, Shadowland, Dark Flame, Night Star), Cruel Summer, Radiance.

Book Girl Rating: * * * *


WARNING: This review is for the second book of the series and so may contain spoilers for Evermore.
 
Things have changed for Ever since she met her beloved Damen – not least because she’s got a whole new set of powers, courtesy of her new Immortal status. Just as she's getting stronger, though, Damen seems to be weakening. Panicked at the thought of losing him, Ever finds a path to the in-between world known as Summerland, where she learns the secrets of Damen’s tortured past. But in searching for a cure for him, Ever accidentally discovers a way to twist time so she can save her family from the accident that killed them. It’s all she’s ever wanted – but so is Damen. And Ever must choose between them . . .

Blue Moon is the second book in Alyson Noel’s enchanting Immortals Series and a fine sequel at that.  I'm sure many readers get that hopeful, almost glee-like feeling over sequels to fantastic books (I know I do!). But I find there's always that niggling doubt - can it live up to its predecessor?  Can the next book really be as good?  I’m happy to say, Blue Moon is exactly that, just as great, riveting: page-turning good! 

I really enjoyed this book and I really do love Alyson’s writing.  This book kept me on edge and guessing just as much as Evermore.  Even though Ever is aware of her immortality, this book brings up more to guess about – by delving into the past and the past lives of Damen and Ever’s love.  I loved this book, of course and I was constantly gasping for answers and questioning, who is Roman?  Why does he know so much?  What’s happening to Damen?  

I loved Ever and Damen in this series.  Thankfully, Ever is a much stronger character and seems to have found a lot of strength through her love with Damen. Damen is just...Damen.  He’s beautiful and still mysterious!  I love Haven and Miles in this book too, they provide a bit of humour amongst all that angsty-immortal tension and passion, which balances the book nicely.  Plenty of action, suspense..and of course, romance!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this, even though it ended evilly! Even so, I've felt no desire to rush to read Shadowland. Strange, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh how come? I know what you mean though, I was much more interested to read Blue Moon that Shadowland; but I think these books get better further on in the series :)

    ReplyDelete